Victoria Beckhams detox holiday has been all over Instagram as of this week. She spent a week at a German spa to detox and posted a picture of full moon water that she had all week.
Ms. Beckham is not the only celebrity to use some unheard-of items for her detox. Many celebs include an odd assortment of items in their detoxing kit, from reishi mushrooms to green teas. But the question is what is truly effective?
To answer that we would have to understand detoxing better.
How does detoxification really work?
Every day, we are exposed to a bevy of pollutants, toxins, and other harmful material. Our body's internal filtering system the liver captures and eliminates these toxins from our blood. The liver is also helped by the digestive system, lymphatic system, kidneys, lungs, and skin. Each of these organ systems filter impurities through a range of ways.
However, over time, due to factors related to the environment and our diets, the body becomes slower and more sluggish at getting rid of these impurities. Eventually, there is a buildup of contaminants in our body and we are at an increased risk of:
- Autoimmune disorders
- Chronic fatigue
- Constipation and other digestive issues
- Acne and skin allergies
- Reduced energy levels
among a range of other issues. If you are constantly plagued by any of these symptoms, chances are you need an easy cleanse to restore your body to its original, healthy self.
How should one go about detoxing?
Quick-fix diets and solutions can be tempting but they can backfire and cause unintended harm instead of the promised good.
To ensure sustainability and visible improvements in health, detoxification should encompass all aspects of your health.
A good cleansing plan will:
- Cut on processed foods and sugar
Processed foods are usually loaded with trans fats, unhealthy oils, and other additives. Sugar be it refined sugar or artificial sweeteners in large amounts contributes to fatty liver disease, reducing the liver's ability to cleanse effectively.
- Cut on caffeine, alcohol and smoking
Removing them from your diet will substantially increase your body's ability to function optimally.
- Include lots of vegetables and fruits
A vegetarian diet is known to increase longevity and improve overall body health. The key is to incorporate more color into your diet mix and match broccoli with colored peppers, make a salad out of spinach, carrots, radishes, and nuts.
- Include ayurvedic power boosters
We are quick to dismiss ayurvedic ingredients from the grandmother's kitchen but these ingredients can do a wealth of good to the body. Our easy cleanse shots come with three such ingredients - Wheatgrass, Green Tea Apple Cider Vinegar and Activated Charcoal.
- Wheatgrass has a highly alkalizing effect inside the body, that makes it anti-bacterial and neutralizing.
- The acid in the Apple Cider Vinegar binds to toxins in the body and assists in removing the toxins. Additionally, the potassium content in the ACV helps break the mucus and clear the body's lymph nodes.
- Activated Charcoal helps resolve digestion issues and improves overall gut health by eliminating toxins from the stomach. This allows for better absorption.
- Include sleeping for eight hours a day
Most adults need 7-9 hours of sleep to recuperate and restore their energy levels.
- Include plenty of exercise/yoga and meditation
Exercise-induced sweating helps the body get rid of toxins through not only the skin but also through breath and blood circulation. As you exercise, the toxins are eliminated to make space for more oxygen and the lymph fluids circulate more effectively to remove harmful debris from the blood.
Your mental well-being reflects on your physical health. Anxiety can perpetuate issues with the digestive system and imbalance other systems.
- 30-Day Cleanse Plan
Here is what one day of our 30-day cleanse plan looks like:
- Wake up early after a good 7-8 hours of sleep.
- Down a shot from Akiva's Detox Shots. The shots are intended to be taken on an empty stomach.
- Eat a protein-packed breakfast that includes sprouts, boiled eggs, and a glass of fresh juice.
- Snack on a seasonal fruit (watermelons for the summer!).
- For lunch, have some spinach lentils, some home-made curd and a fresh vegetable salad with cucumbers, carrots, radishes, lemon juice and some microgreens.
- Avoid coffee during snack-time and instead munch on walnuts, almonds and some cashews. If you're still craving for more, top it with a spoonful sunflower and pumpkin seeds and a coconut water drink.
- Have a light and balanced dinner comprising of soup, millet and roasted vegetables.
- Meditate for 10 minutes using an app like Headspace before falling asleep.
A holistic cleansing plan can effectively change your relationship with your body and mind. However, it is important to customize the plan according to your needs.Please consult with a nutritionist/doctor to formulate a plan tailored to fit in your health concerns and conditions.